ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team won its third straight game with a 71-63 American Southwest Conference win over Louisiana College on Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Complex
The Wildcats took an early 11-4 lead and pushed the advantage out to as many as 11 points and led most of the first half. However, the Cowboys had a 10-2 run to tie the game at 25 with 4:42 to play in the first half.
LC regained a 30-26 lead with 3:17 to play but the Cowboys scored the final seven points of the half to take a 33-30 halftime lead.
In the second half, the Cowboys never trailed and never led by more than the final margin of eight. LC tied the game a couple of times but never took the lead.
Derrick Jefferson led the Cowboys with 21 points and 15 rebounds and Jim Walter and Titus Mims each added 12 points for HSU. Anthony Gaines led LC with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
HSU forced 23 turnovers and turned them into 19 points and limited the Wildcats to 42.9 shooting.
The Cowboys have won three straight and are now 4-6 on the year and 4-3 in ASC action. LC fell to 4-4 overall and 4-2 in league play. The Wildcats were undefeated in conference play prior to this weekend but dropped both ends of their weekend road trip.
HSU hits the road to East Texas Baptist and LeTourneau next weekend.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth