ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team won its final game of the first semester with a 68-49 win over Sul Ross State in American Southwest Conference action at the Gallego Center in Alpine on Tuesday night.
HSU opened an early 19-8 lead and never trailed the rest of the way. The Cowboys pushed the lead to 32-19 with 4:46 to play in the first half but didn't score the rest of the half and led 32-25 at the intermission.
The Cowboys quickly pushed the lead to 41-27 in the second half and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Sams led the Cowboys with 15 points on five 3-pointers. Titus Mims had 14 points and Derrick Jefferson had eight points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
Percy Settle led Sul Ross State with 18 points and was the only player in double figures.
HSU limited the Lobos to 17-of-61 shooting for 27.9 percent. HSU shot 46.3 percent and hit 56 percent in the second half, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range.
The Cowboys are now 2-6 on the year and 2-3 in conference play. Sul Ross State fell to 4-4 overall and 3-2 in league play.
HSU will return to action on Jan. 2 when it hosts Mississippi College.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene