ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team won its final game of the first semester with a 68-49 win over Sul Ross State in American Southwest Conference action at the Gallego Center in Alpine on Tuesday night.
HSU opened an early 19-8 lead and never trailed the rest of the way. The Cowboys pushed the lead to 32-19 with 4:46 to play in the first half but didn't score the rest of the half and led 32-25 at the intermission.
The Cowboys quickly pushed the lead to 41-27 in the second half and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Sams led the Cowboys with 15 points on five 3-pointers. Titus Mims had 14 points and Derrick Jefferson had eight points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
Percy Settle led Sul Ross State with 18 points and was the only player in double figures.
HSU limited the Lobos to 17-of-61 shooting for 27.9 percent. HSU shot 46.3 percent and hit 56 percent in the second half, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range.
The Cowboys are now 2-6 on the year and 2-3 in conference play. Sul Ross State fell to 4-4 overall and 3-2 in league play.
HSU will return to action on Jan. 2 when it hosts Mississippi College.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Supporters mark slain girl's 10th birthday in Albuquerque
- Police: 2 College Station deaths related to drugs, robbery
- KTXS Forecast: Afternoon pop-up showers possible each day this week
- Fried Jell-O among top food winners for State Fair of Texas
- Updated Construction to begin on Highway 351 in north Abilene