ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team won its final game of the first semester with a 68-49 win over Sul Ross State in American Southwest Conference action at the Gallego Center in Alpine on Tuesday night.
HSU opened an early 19-8 lead and never trailed the rest of the way. The Cowboys pushed the lead to 32-19 with 4:46 to play in the first half but didn't score the rest of the half and led 32-25 at the intermission.
The Cowboys quickly pushed the lead to 41-27 in the second half and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Sams led the Cowboys with 15 points on five 3-pointers. Titus Mims had 14 points and Derrick Jefferson had eight points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
Percy Settle led Sul Ross State with 18 points and was the only player in double figures.
HSU limited the Lobos to 17-of-61 shooting for 27.9 percent. HSU shot 46.3 percent and hit 56 percent in the second half, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range.
The Cowboys are now 2-6 on the year and 2-3 in conference play. Sul Ross State fell to 4-4 overall and 3-2 in league play.
HSU will return to action on Jan. 2 when it hosts Mississippi College.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Updated Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Updated Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Updated Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash