ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team used a 15-5 run to start the game and never trailed in a 102-65 American Southwest Conference win over Sul Ross State on Thursday evening at the Gallegos Center in Alpine.
The Cowboys gradually built on the early lead and eventually led by as many 22 points in the first half before taking a 41-23 halftime lead. HSU continued to add on to the lead in the second half.
HSU shot 57.8 percent in the game 31-of-68 and outrebounded the Lobos 47-34.
The Cowboys scored 100 points for the first time this season and the first time since a 110-100 win over Louisiana College in the ASC Tournament last season.
Andy Spears finished the game with 26 points and 12 rebounds. John Derr had 19 points, including five 3-pointers. JaMael Windom-Haynes had 12 points in his first career start. Jeff Holland also hit double figures with 11 points. Bernard Stiggers had nine points and 10 rebounds.
Justin Copeland led Sul Ross State with 21 points. Anthony Stephens had 14 points and Justin Weldon added 11 points.
HSU improved to 14-8 on the year and to 11-5 in ASC action. Sul Ross State fell to 5-18 and 4-13 in ASC action.
The Cowboys will play on Saturday at Howard Payne at 1 p.m. in Brownwood.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Abilene's public radio station could face cuts under new budget
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 2 escape from south Abilene house fire
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student