ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team used a 15-5 run to start the game and never trailed in a 102-65 American Southwest Conference win over Sul Ross State on Thursday evening at the Gallegos Center in Alpine.
The Cowboys gradually built on the early lead and eventually led by as many 22 points in the first half before taking a 41-23 halftime lead. HSU continued to add on to the lead in the second half.
HSU shot 57.8 percent in the game 31-of-68 and outrebounded the Lobos 47-34.
The Cowboys scored 100 points for the first time this season and the first time since a 110-100 win over Louisiana College in the ASC Tournament last season.
Andy Spears finished the game with 26 points and 12 rebounds. John Derr had 19 points, including five 3-pointers. JaMael Windom-Haynes had 12 points in his first career start. Jeff Holland also hit double figures with 11 points. Bernard Stiggers had nine points and 10 rebounds.
Justin Copeland led Sul Ross State with 21 points. Anthony Stephens had 14 points and Justin Weldon added 11 points.
HSU improved to 14-8 on the year and to 11-5 in ASC action. Sul Ross State fell to 5-18 and 4-13 in ASC action.
The Cowboys will play on Saturday at Howard Payne at 1 p.m. in Brownwood.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Foreign national leads high-speed chase, fires shots through Big Country
- Updated On Mexico trip, Trump leaves press stranded
- Updated City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Updated August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season