ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons closed out its 2014 men's tennis regular season with a 7-2 home loss to McMurry on Saturday morning at the Streich Tennis Center.
It was the final home matches for HSU seniors Michael McCullough and Erich Bein. McCullough picked up one of the two HSU wins with a 7-5, 6-0 win at No. 2 singles overt Chris Breaux. Bein lost 6-3, 6-1 to Felipe Cruz at No. 1 singles.
McMurry took control of the match with three wins in doubles and won four of the six singles matches.
Freshman Sam May picked up the other win for the Cowboys with a 6-4, 4-6, 10-8 win at No. 4 singles.
HSU is now 10-10 on the year and the Warhawks improved to 10-11 on the year. HSU will play in the ASC Championship next weekend in Tyler.
McMurry 7, Hardin-Simmons 2
1. Felipe Cruz (MCM) def. Erich Bein, 6-3, 6-1
2. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Chris Breaux, 7-5, 6-0
3. Preston Steblein (MCM) def. Nathan Chavez, 7-6, 4-6, 14-12
4. Sam May (HSU) def. Casjen Rico, 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
5. Cristiano Mendes (MCM) def. Jordan Wilson. 6-0, 6-0
6. Tom Weir (MCM) def. Andrew Eurek, 6-3, 6-1
1. Chris Breaux/Casjen Rico (MCM) def. Erich Bein/Nathan Chavez, 8-4
2. Dani Perez/Felipe Cruz (MCM) def. Sam May/Michael McCullough, 8-3
3. Carlos Perez/Dustin Douglas (MCM) def. Jordan Wilson/Andrew Eurek, 8-4
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency