ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' football team won its fourth straight game with a 42-22 homecoming win over East Texas Baptist on Saturday afternoon at Shelton Stadium.
The Cowboys set the tone with a big first quarter and never looked back en route to improving to 4-2 overall and 3-0 in ASC play. HSU will play Mary Hardin-Baylor next Saturday at 1 p.m. with outright possession of the American Southwest Conference lead on the line.
HSU forced a quick three-and-out on the first possession of the game and then took the ball after a short pint into the wind and went 43 yards in six plays. Logan Turner capped the drive with a 14-yard touchdown pass to Corey Jones.
On the ensuing possession, Jonathan Petty ripped the ball out of John Gables hands and returned it 59 yards for a touchdown to make it 14-0 with 8:17 to play in the first quarter. HSU then forced another three-and-out and went 43 yards again, this time in four plays. Tevin Mitchell capped the drive with a 10-yard touchdown run.
ETBU scored on the first play of the next drive when Kwame' Spikes slipped through a couple of tackles and raced 55 yards for a touchdown on a pass from Seth Hubbard. The snap was bad on the PAT and it failed to make it 21-6.
HSU then went 66 yards in nine plays as Turner found Mitchell on a 22-yard screen pass for a touchdown to make it 28-6 with 1:07 to play in the first quarter. Cory McNeil kicked a 30-yard field goal for ETBU for the only point of the second quarter and HSU led 28-9 at halftime.
The Cowboys took the opening kickoff of the second half and drove 64 yards in 11 plays. Devin Carver did the honors from one yard out and HSU led 35-9. It stayed that way until the first play of the fourth quarter when Turner hit Colton Brewer on a 25-yard touchdown pass to make it 42-9.
ETBU added two late touchdowns on a 2-yard Khadafi Davis run and a 13-yard TD pass from Hubbard to Tyler Bates to set up the final score.
Turner completed 26-of-41 passes for HSU for 303 yards and three touchdowns. He now has 18 touchdown passes and just one interception in the last five games for the Cowboys. Corey Jones had 10 catches for 92 yards and Devin Carver had 18 carries for 101 yards.
James Place had eight tackles and two pass break ups and Jonathan Wilder had eight tackles for the Cowboy defense.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
Hubbard completed 17-of-35 passes for 249 yards and two touchdowns for ETBU and Spikes had seven catches for 122 yards. ETBU fell to 1-5 overall and 0-3 in ASC action with the loss.
- Updated Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- Updated North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Updated Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog