LONGVIEW, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team dropped an American Southwest Conference doubleheader to LeTourneau on Saturday afternoon, falling 9-2 in the first game and losing 10-4 in a rain-shortened second game.
HSU scored a run in the first on an error and scored a run on a bases loaded walk in the seventh inning by Caleb Jacques.
LeTourneau scored three times in the second on a bases loaded double by Chris Bertram. All three runners had walked to load the bases. Quinn Brankin had a sacrifice fly in the third and Ryan Bertram had an RBI single in the fourth to make it 6-1. Caleb Pritchett had a sacrifice fly and Chris Bertram had a two-run double in the fifth to make it 9-1.
Three different Cowboys had one hit. Chris Bertram had two hits and drove in five LeTourneau.
Cody Whitley picked up the win going six innings and allowing only two hits and one unearned run. He retired 11 straight Cowboys at one point. Brandon Bollinger took the loss for the Cowboys allowing five runs on two hits. He also walked five batters. Garrett Reed, Taylor Peables and Trey Doebbler worked in relief for the Cowboys.
The second game was shortened to seven innings because of wet conditions.
HSU scored a run in the first inning on a Colson Craddick fielder's choice. LeTourneau answered with two runs in the bottom of the first with an RBI ground out by Sean Sellers and a Dillon Yared RBI double. LU made it 6-1 with four runs in the fourth. Brice Griffin, Robert Garza and Chris Bertram had RBIs in the inning.
The Cowboys scored three times in the fifth on four hits. Jon Finney had a two-run double and Marcus Uechi had an RBI double.
LeTourneau retook control of the game with four runs in the sixth. Kyle Barnett walked the bases loaded and the Will Wise replaced him and walked Chris Bertram.
Another run scored on a wild pitch, another on a sacrifice fly and Sellers had an RBI single.
Jason Vause, Jon Finney. Marcus Uechi and Brandon Walker had two hits each for HSU. Pritchett and Chris Bertram had two hits for the Yellow Jackets.
Matt Rhodes started and allowed six runs on nine hits in three and two-third innings. Kyle Barnett and Will Wise worked in relief for HSU. Justin Jenkins improved to 4-0 with seven innings of four-run ball, striking out six.
The Cowboys are now 6-6 on the year and 4-5 in conference play. LeTourneau improved to 13-1 overall and 8-1 in ASC play. HSU hosts Concordia next weekend in a key ASC.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer