ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team dropped its season opener 9-0 to ninth-ranked Trinity on Friday morning at the Streich Tennis Center.
The Tigers opened the match by sweeping all three doubles. Nathan Chavez and Michael McCullough battled tough at No. 1 doubles, forcing a tiebreaker with a late break of service.
McCullough also lost a tough three setter to ninth-ranked Charlie Curtis at No. 1 singles. McCullough won the first set 6-4 before losing 6-2 and then falling in the third set pro set 10-4.
Freshman Frankie Sanchez also forced three sets against Eshan Jayamanne at No. 3 singles. He also lost the pro set 10-4.
HSU will play two matches on Saturday, hosting LeTourneau at 9 a.m. and Dallas Baptist at 2 p.m. on Saturday. The Cowgirls will also open their season with the same two opponents.
TU 9, Hardin-Simmons 0
1. Charlie Curtis (TU) def. Michael McCullough, 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
2. Jordan Mayer (TU) def. Nathan Chavez, 6-1, 6-2
3. Eshan Jayamanne (TU) def. Frankie Sanchez, 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
4. Connor Dunn (TU) def. Jesse Rawlings, 6-0, 6-1
5. Pablo Diaz Boom (TU) def. Jordan Wilson, 6-0, 6-1
6. Brandon Thompson (TU) def. Dylan Price, 6-1, 6-0
1. Eric DelaFuente/Jordan Mayer (TU) def. Chavez/McCullough, 9-8 (7-3)
2. Nicolas Moreno/Aaron Skinner (TU) def. Rawlings/Wilson, 8-1
3. Greg Haugen/Dunn (TU) def. Price/Sanchez, 8-0
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting