ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' football team closed its 2013 campaign with a 46-34 loss to Louisiana College on Saturday afternoon at Shelton Stadium. LC got on the board first with a touchdown at the 7:25 mark of the first quarter when Ryan Montague scored on a 1-yard run. It was setup by an interception.
HSU took the lead when Josh Christian hit Trei Lewis on a 23-yard touchdown pass at the 12:51 mark of the second quarter. LC took advantage of a Jessie Ramos fumble and took the short field and scored in four plays on a Reggie Sims 4-yard TD run.
The Cowboys took the opening drive of the second half 60 yards in nine plays and Tevin Mitchell capped it with a 5-yard TD run to give HSU a 14-13 lead.
LC got the lead back a possession later when HSU had a punt blocked and Charles Hawkins returned it 16 yards for a touchdown. HSU came right back with a 70-yard drive highlighted by a Mitchell 41 yards run. Mitchell capped it with a 1-yard TD run.
HSU made it 27-20 on a 13-yard TD pass from Christian to Bryce Johnson with 2:32 to play in the third.
LC scored on the first play of the fourth quarter on a 7-yard pass from Easton Melancon to Kyle Gaylon to tie the game at 27.
LC took advantage of another Ramos fumble and scored on a 62-yard pass from Melancon to Ladarius Gardner. HSU answered with a 75-yard TD pass from Christian to Ty Fisher to make it 34-33.
LC scored the final two touchdowns of the game a 11-yard pass from Melancon to Shedrick Davis and 44-yard run by Davis.
Mitchell had 169 yards and two touchdowns for the Cowboys and Josh Christian completed 18-of-32 passes for 263 yards and three touchdowns and also had four interceptions.
Melancon had 276 yards passing and three touchdowns and Montague had 150 yards and two touchdowns.
Jonathan Petty finished the game with 10 tackles, two for losses, two pass break ups and forced two fumbles to pace the HSU defense.
HSU finished the year with a record of 4-6 and 2-4 in ASC play. Louisiana College closed its season with a record of 7-3 and 5-1 in ASC play. It was the final game for 18 seniors.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated