LONGVIEW, Texas - LeTourneau executed a squeeze play for a walkoff 8-7 win in the 10th inning over the Hardin-Simmons baseball team in American Southwest Conference action at Conrad-Vernon Field in Longview on Friday night.
Kyle Jacobs reached on a two-base error by Jason Vause in the 10th inning with one out. Caleb Pritchett then hit a ball deep in the hole at short and Jon Finney's only play was to third and his throw was late, putting runners on the corners and Bryce Griffin executed the perfect squeeze bunt for the walkoff win.
HSU had its chance for the win. In the ninth with two outs and nobody on Zack de Luna was hit by a pitch and Will Wise drew a walk. JT Thornton drove in de Luna with an RBI single and Wise later scored on a wild pitch to give HSU a 7-6 lead.
In the bottom of the ninth, the Yellow Jackets turned the tables on the Cowboys with two outs and nobody on. Dillon Yates walked and was pinch ran for by Jordan Argabright, who moved to second on a passed ball and to third on a wild pitch and Chris Bertram struck out but the pitch got away and allowed Argabright to score.
HSU scored a run in the first when Marcus Uechi hit a sacrifice fly. LeTourneau scored three times in the third on a Sean Sellers two-run double and a Ryan Bertram RBI single. Kyle Jacobs had a solo home run in the fifth to make it 4-1.
HSU retook the lead with four runs in the sixth. Brandon Walker had a three-run double and Thornton had an RBI double.
LeTourneau scored two runs in the seventh without the benefit of a hit. HSU walked three batters in the inning and Chris Bertram had an RBI groundout and another scored on a wild pitch.
Jeremy Hallmark took the loss for the Cowboy allowing one run in one-third inning of work. Eric Zamora started and went five and two-third innings and allowed four runs on four hits and struck out seven. Sam Hallen, Alex Bradley and Blake Northrop also worked in relief.
Curt Copeland started and allowed five runs in five and one-third innings. Josh Gimre picked up the win in relief. Jordan Price and Kirby Cantalamessa also pitched in relief.
J.T. Thornton had three hits for HSU and Jason Vause, Jon Finney and Colson Craddick had two hits each for the Cowboys. Bryce Griffin had two hits for LeTourneau.
HSU is now 6-4 overall and 5-2 in ASC action. LeTourneau improved to 11-1 overall and 6-1 in league play. The teams have moved their doubleheader for Saturday up one hour to a noon start.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated