ABILENE, Texas - Ninth-ranked Trinity scored six times in the first inning and held off Hardin-Simmons 13-6 in non-conference baseball action on Tuesday afternoon at Hunter Field.
Trinity broke out of its offensive slump with a six run first inning. The Tigers had been 20-1 on the year but had lost five of six games and four straight coming into the game. Pat Hirschberg had the big blow of the inning a three-run home run. Carter McEachern had an RBI single, Nick Jewett an RBI double that chased starter Brandon Bollinger. Chria Bianchi added an RBI single.
The Tigers added a run in the second on a Jewett RBI single and the game remained 7-0 until the Tigers scored two runs in the sixth on a Christian Muscarello RBI double and a Hischberg sacrifice fly.
HSU responded with six runs in the bottom of the sixth on just two hits. HSU took advantage of five free passes in the inning, including three hit batters. Colson Craddick had a two-run double and Caleb Jacques and Jon Finney each walked with the bases loaded and Marcus Uechi was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Brandon Walker had an RBI groundout in the inning.
Connor Moore had an RBI triple in the seventh for Trinity and the Tigers scored three times in the eighth including a two-run home run by Jewett.
Bollinger took the loss, allowing six runs in a third of an inning to fall to 3-5. Kyle Barnett, Sam Hallen, Alex Bradley and Taylor Peables all worked in relief for the Cowboys.
Kyle Bogese improved to 5-1 with five inning of two run ball. Carter Lauck, Matt Tindall and Trent Rape all worked in relief.
Moore had four hits and Jewett had three for Trinity. Jewett and Hirschberg each drove in four runs. Uechi had two hits for HSU.
The Cowboys are now 10-13 on the year and Trinity improved to 22-6. HSU will play at Sul Ross State on Friday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated