ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' bats stayed hot and the Cowboy baseball team finished off a weekend American Southwest Conference sweep of Louisiana College on Saturday afternoon at Hunter Field with a 19-7 run-rule victory in seven innings.
LC took an early 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the second inning on a GarretT Parsons double. HSU responded with a five-spot in the second. J.T. Thornton was hit with the bases loaded, Caleb Jacques had a two-run single and Marcus Uechi had a two-run double.
HSU added a single run in the third and LC countered with three more in the fourth to make it 6-6. The Cowboys bounced right back with six runs to bust open the game in the fourth. Colson Craddick had the big blow a three-run home run, Brandon Walker had an RBI single and Thornton added a two-run double.
Jon Finney had an RBI single and Zack de Luna a two-run single in the fifth and Zack Patino added an RBI single and Jacques an RBI fielder's choice. Walker added an RBI single in the seventh to make it 19-7.
Jeremy Hallmark won the game in relief on the mound to improve to 2-4. He worked two and two-third innings of one-run relief. Matt Rhodes started for the
Cowboys and Eric Zamora came on and struck out the final two batters of the game. Brennan Russell took the loss allowing seven runs.
Uechi, de Luna and Walker each had three hits for HSU as they pounded out 17 more hits on Saturday. Feazell Garett Parsons and Cary Myers had two hits each for LC.
The Cowboys are now 17-20 overall and 13-17 in conference play. Louisiana College fell to 14-21 overall and 13-17 in ASC play. HSU closes the regular-season next weekend at Texas-Dallas for a three-game set.
The game was the final home game for seven Cowboys. Vause, Uechi, Finney, Zamora, Trey Thompson, Trey Doebbler and Will Wise.
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer