BELTON, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball allowed a 16-3 run over the final 4:22 of the first half to break open a tight game and HSU never recovered in a 106-69 American Southwest Conference loss to Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday at the Mayborn Campus Center in Belton.
The Cowboys received back-to-back 3-pointers from John Derr and Eric Taylor to make it 28-26 with 4:35 to play in the half. Thomas Orr had 10 points in the run including a dunk as time expired.
A 14-4 run early in the second half pushed the Cru lead over 20 and the Cowboys never recovered. The Cowboys are now 0-18 all-time in Belton versus Mary Hardin-Baylor.
Eric Taylor led the Cowboys with 21 points, Derr had 12 and Bernard Stiggers added 10.
Orr led four Cru players in double figures with 24. Antoine Chaney added 23 points, Kitrick Bell had 17 points and James Allen had 15.
HSU has lost two straight games to fall to 9-5 overall and 6-3 in ASC play. UMHB improved to 12-3 overall and 8-1 in the ASC West.
The Cowboys will return home to play Sul Ross State on Thursday.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting