ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team allowed 53 second-half points and lost its season opener 79-75 to Southwestern on Monday night at the Mabee Complex.
The Cowboys used a 21-6 run in the middle of the first half to open up a 32-14 lead in the first half. HSU led 42-26 at halftime.
Southwestern came out in the second half and started to methodically cut into the Cowboy lead. HSU still led 55-45 with 11:32 to play, but Southwestern had an 8-2 to cut it to 57-53 with 9:29 to play.
HSU went on a 7-2 run to push the lead back to 66-55 with 7:42 to play. Southwestern then put on an 18-2 run from the 7:25 mark to the 2:00 mark to take a 73-68 lead and the Cowboys could not recover.
Southwestern shot 58.8 percent in the second half after shooting just 27.6 percent in the first half. HSU shot 32.3 percent in the second half and just 38.6 percent in the game.
Derrick Jefferson led the Cowboys with 24 points and 13 rebounds on 10-of-14 shooting in his return after missing last season with a broken ankle. John Barnes had 19 in his Cowboy debut.
Blake Scott led the Pirates with 22 points and 10 rebounds and Sean Myers had 12 points and nine rebounds for Southwestern.
The Pirates improved to 1-1 with the win and HSU is 0-1. The Cowboys will return to action on Saturday when it hosts Schreiner at 3 p.m.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer