CLINTON, Miss. - Hardin-Simmons scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning and held on for a 7-6 win over Mississippi College on Saturday afternoon at Frierson Field in Clinton, Miss., to win the American Southwest Conference series two games to one.
HSU jumped out to an early 5-2 lead after the top of the third inning. Marcus Uechi had an RBI ground out in the first inning, freshman Zach de Luna led off the second inning with his first career home run to tie the game at two and Zack Patino had an RBI single and de Luna a two-run double in the third inning.
MC scored two runs in the first inning thanks to a pair of HSU errors and Rusty Jernigan had an RBI single in the third to make it 5-3.
Neither team scored again until Mississippi College tied the game with a pair of runs in the seventh inning on a Spencer Wilson single.
In the ninth Jared Jacques had his first career at-bat and reached on an error and moved up to second on a Caleb Jacques sacrifice bunt. Jason Vause brought in Jacques with an RBI single and scored on a Marcus Uechi single to left center.
With two outs in the bottom of the ninth the Choctaws scored a run when Wilson single and moved to second on a balk and scored on an RBI single by Zach Evans. But Blake Northrop got out of the inning to pick up the win in relief.
Matt Rhodes was solid for the Cowboys as he allowed just one earned run over six innings. Alex Bradley allowed two run on three hits in a third of an inning and Sam
Hallen came on and worked a scoreless inning. Northrop came on with one out in the eighth and allowed one run on two hits.
Blake Mcilwain went seven innings for the Choctaws and Grady Thurman took the loss in relief.
Vause, Uechi, Patino and de Luna all had two hits for the Cowboys. Hunter Bolin had three hits for MC.
HSU is now 4-2 on the year and 2-1 in league play. MC fell to 1-3 overall and 1-2 in conference action. HSU will host Southwestern in the home opener on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash