CLINTON, Miss. - Hardin-Simmons scored two runs in the top of the ninth inning and held on for a 7-6 win over Mississippi College on Saturday afternoon at Frierson Field in Clinton, Miss., to win the American Southwest Conference series two games to one.
HSU jumped out to an early 5-2 lead after the top of the third inning. Marcus Uechi had an RBI ground out in the first inning, freshman Zach de Luna led off the second inning with his first career home run to tie the game at two and Zack Patino had an RBI single and de Luna a two-run double in the third inning.
MC scored two runs in the first inning thanks to a pair of HSU errors and Rusty Jernigan had an RBI single in the third to make it 5-3.
Neither team scored again until Mississippi College tied the game with a pair of runs in the seventh inning on a Spencer Wilson single.
In the ninth Jared Jacques had his first career at-bat and reached on an error and moved up to second on a Caleb Jacques sacrifice bunt. Jason Vause brought in Jacques with an RBI single and scored on a Marcus Uechi single to left center.
With two outs in the bottom of the ninth the Choctaws scored a run when Wilson single and moved to second on a balk and scored on an RBI single by Zach Evans. But Blake Northrop got out of the inning to pick up the win in relief.
Matt Rhodes was solid for the Cowboys as he allowed just one earned run over six innings. Alex Bradley allowed two run on three hits in a third of an inning and Sam
Hallen came on and worked a scoreless inning. Northrop came on with one out in the eighth and allowed one run on two hits.
Blake Mcilwain went seven innings for the Choctaws and Grady Thurman took the loss in relief.
Vause, Uechi, Patino and de Luna all had two hits for the Cowboys. Hunter Bolin had three hits for MC.
HSU is now 4-2 on the year and 2-1 in league play. MC fell to 1-3 overall and 1-2 in conference action. HSU will host Southwestern in the home opener on Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking