ABILENE, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team is set for the American Southwest Conference Championship Tournament, which will be played at the UTD Activities Center Friday thru Sunday in Richardson.
HSU is the No. 2 seed and will open play on Friday at 2:30 p.m. against Sul Ross State. HSU is 17-8 on the year and the Lobos come into the event with an 11-14 record. HSU won both regular season matchups this season.
The Cowboys go into the tournament as one of the hottest teams in the league, having won 11 of its last 12 games. HSU is making its seventh appearance in the ASC Tournament and looking for its first title. The Cowboys advanced to the championship game in 2007 and again in 2012.
Leading the way for the Cowboys has been junior Derrick Jefferson. He is ranked in the top 10 in the ASC in points, rebounds, steals and assists. He leads HSU with 18 points per game and 7.6 rebounds per outing.
HSU has three other players averaging double figures. Titus Mims is scoring 13.9 points per game, Charles Sams averages 11.3 points per contest and John Barnes is scoring 10.3 points per game. Sams leads the ASC in 3-pointers made with 76 and Barnes is third with 106 assists. Junior center Mawen Maywin leads the league in blocked shots with 69.
Texas-Dallas is the No. 1 seed for the tournament and will play East Texas Baptist in the first round at 7:30 on Friday. Other first round matchups feature No. 3 Mary Hardin-Baylor against No. 6 Louisiana College at noon on Friday and No. 4 Concordia plays No. 5 Texas-Tyler at 5 p.m. Friday.
If the Cowboys win the first round they will play the UMHB/LC winner at 1 p.m. on Saturday. The final is slated for 2 p.m. Sunday.
UTD is offering a free video broadcast of the event. Jay Ashby will be calling HSU's action on www.hsuathletics.com if you want to watch the video and listen to the HSU call.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer