BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' baseball team split an American Southwest Conference doubleheader with Howard Payne, winning 9-3 in the first game before falling 6-1 in the nightcap on Saturday at Don Sheppard Park in Brownwood.
Brandon Bollinger tossed a complete game and Brandon Walker and Will Wise drove in three runs each to give HSU a 9-3 win and clinch the three-game series.
Bollinger allowed three runs with two outs in the first, but was in control the rest of the way. He did not allow another run and struck out eight to improve to 3-3 on the year. He allowed six hits in the complete-game win. Jacob Spivey took the loss for HPU allowing eight runs on eight hits in four and two-third innings.
HSU scored twice in the first on an RBI single by Colson Craddick and an RBI double by Walker. HPU scored three times in the first on a Dustin DeJohn two-run single and a Connor Roberts RBI single.
The Cowboys added a sacrifice fly by Zack de Luna and a RBI single by Wise in the fourth to regain the lead 4-3. HSU added four runs in the fifth on two-run singles by Walker and Wise. De Luna scored a run in the seventh on an HPU error.
Craddick, Walker and Wise had two hits each for HSU and DeJohn had two for HPU.
In the second game, Matthew Parks tossed a complete-game three-hitter for Howard Payne to improve to 5-1. He allowed an unearned run and struck out six.
HSU scored an unearned run in the first inning on an RBI single by Walker. Howard Payne answered with RBI singles by Matthew Daniel and Kyle Kulczyk. The Yellowjackets took control in the third on a three-run triple by Jake Sadler. HPU scored another run in the sixth on a Joshua Martinez RBI single.
Freshman Kyle Barnett, who was starting his first career game, allowed four runs on six hits in two and one-third innings to take the loss. Jeremy Hallmark, Matt Rhodes and Blake Northrop all worked in relief for the Cowboys.
Sadler had two hits and three RBIs to pace HPU. Vause, Walker and de Luna had the three HSU hits.
HSU is now 9-10 on the year and 6-9 in ASC play. Howard Payne is 9-11 and also 6-8 in conference action. The Cowboys will host Texas-Tyler next weekend in its next action.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash