ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' bats woke up just in time to earn a crucial American Southwest Conference baseball series win over Schreiner as the teams split a Good Friday doubleheader at Hunter Field, with Schreiner winning 3-2 in game one and HSU taking the series clincher 7-5.
HSU jumped to a 1-0 lead in the first inning when Jon Finney led off with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on an Andrew Bell single. HSU made it 2-0 in the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Ryan Reagor.
Schreiner received a Chris Whitehead RBI single in the fifth inning to make it 2-1. In the sixth inning, Marco Carreon had a single and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. HSU went to closer Tyler Brunnemann and he uncorked a wild pitch and then allowed a base hit to Pete Trevino to tie the game at two. Chase Valdez then singled and with two outs Whitehead had an RBI single to give the Mountaineers a 3-2 lead.
James Simmons started went five and one-third innings and allowed just two runs. Brunnemann (0-1) took the loss, allowing a run on three hits. Joe Osinski kept the Cowboys off balance most of the game and threw a complete-game, allowing just two runs on five hits to improve to 2-2 on the year.
Jason Vause had two hits for HSU and Trevino and Carreon had three hits each to pace a 13-hit Schreiner attack.
Trailing 5-1 in game two the Cowboys looked to be on their way to a loss when the bats came alive in the seventh inning with two outs and nobody on. Zack Patino drew a walk and Caleb Jacques singled. Jason Vause drove home Patino with a single and Finney drew a walk to load the bases. Marcus Uechi then hit a grand slam to right to give HSU a 6-5 lead. Patino added an insurance run in the eighth with an RBI single.
Schreiner scored a run in the second inning on Curt Jaeger RBI single in the second. Starter Matt Rhodes got out of a bases loaded jam with a double play and HSU tied it in the third on a Uechi double.
Lonnie Garcia hit a three-run home run for Schreiner in the fifth inning to almost exactly the same spot that Uechi hit his two innings later. Whitehead had an RBI single in the seventh.
Matt Rhodes started for the Cowboys and allowed four runs in four and one-third innings. Brandon Bollinger worked two innings of relief and allowed a run then Parker Robinson worked two-thirds of an inning, but earned the win as he was on the mound to end the seventh before the HSU rally.
Robinson allowed a pair of infield singles in the eighth and gave way to Brunnemann. This time he worked out of the jam in the eighth and struck out the side in the ninth to earn his ninth save of the year.
Uechi drove in five runs and had two hits and Caleb Jacques had two hits as well for HSU. Valdez and Carreon had three hits each for Schreiner. Barrett Houser, allowed six runs in seven innings to take the loss.
HSU is now 17-11 on the year and 7-5 in ASC play. They are tied with Concordia for second-place in the ASC West. Schreiner fell to 9-22 and 2-7 in conference play. HSU starts a busy week with a road game at No. 2 Trinity on Tuesday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash