BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's basketball team continued its hot play with a 83-73 American Southwest Conference win at Howard Payne on Thursday night at the Brownwood Coliseum.
The Cowboys jumped out to a comfortable lead in the first half and led 30-18 with 9:13 to play in the half. HSU maintained the lead until halftime leading 38-27 at the break, despite 14 turnovers in the half. HSU overcame the sloppy play with a 32-16 advantage in rebounding.
In the second half Howard Payne was never closer than six points.
HSU dominated the game on the backboards, outrebounding the Yellow Jackets 57-30 in the game.
Derrick Jefferson and Titus each had 15 points for the Cowboys. Jefferson also added 12 rebounds and six assists. Charles Sams and Cameron Barnes had 11 points each and Mawen Maywin had 10 points.
Brandon Gould and Donovan Ford each scored 20 points for Howard Payne.
HSU is now 11-7 on the year and 11-4 in conference play. Howard Payne fell to 4-14 overall and 4-11 in conference play. HSU will host Sul Ross State on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Updated College Station police say 2 killed in apartment gunfire
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Lingering rain chances through the week
- Updated Dallas police squelch critics, questions about sniper attack
- Updated Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire