BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team claimed a spot in the American Southwest Conference postseason tournament with a 9-0 win over Howard Payne on Thursday in Brownwood.
The Cowboys swept through doubles play, including 8-1 wins at No. 2 and No. 3.
In singles action, the Cowboys won all six matches and won in straight sets at No. 2, 4, 5 and 6.
HSU is now 4-12 overall and 3-1 in ASC play. HPU fell to 2-10 overall and 1-4 in league play. HSU will host UT-Dallas in non-conference action on Friday at 3 p.m. and then will play at Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday with second-place in the ASC West on the line.
Hardin-Simmons 9, Howard Payne 0
1. Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Luis Vallecillo, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Will Thomas, 6-2, 6-0
3. Steven Stanley (HSU) def. Jeremy Rodriguez, 6-4, 7-5 (10-5)
4. Jesse Rawlings (HSU) def. Nolan Ethridge, 6-0, 6-3
5. Frankie Sanchez (HSU) def. Jacob Carrillo, 6-2, 6-0
6. Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Marshall McIntosh, 6-1, 6-0
1. McCullough/Chavez (HSU) def. Vallecillo/Rodriguez, 8-6
2. Stanley/Wilson (HSU) def. Thomas/Harding, 8-1
3. Rawlings/Sanchez (HSU) def. Carrillo/Ethridge, 8-1
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder
- Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies