ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' men's soccer team won its third straight American Southwest Conference game with a 4-2 win over Howard Payne on Tuesday evening at the HSU Soccer Complex.
The game was played wide open with the Cowboys firing 29 shots, including 12 on goal. Howard Payne had 13 shots in the game, including eight on target.
The Cowboys took advantage of the strong south wind in the first half for a 2-0 lead. Matt Pitcock finished off a nice cross for his fifth goal of the season at the 26 minute mark. Freshman Colyn Moore made a nice individual move around his man and struck from the right side of the box for a 2-0 lead at 39:25.
HSU had a chance to make it 3-0 in the 58th minute but Zach Johnson's penalty kick just missed wide. It gave the Jackets the momentum in the game and David Rucker converted his own penalty kick at 60:20. HPU tied the game at 71:46 on a 30-yard free kick from Edgard Rodriguez.
The Cowboys regrouped and got another shot at a penalty kick in the 74th minute and Pitcock buried it for a 3-2 lead. Five minutes later Johnson hammered home a throw in from Brennan Goodman to make it 4-2.
Sam Potter had six saves and allowed two goals in net for the Cowboys. Ryan Young had eight saves and allowed four goals for HPU.
The win was the third straight for the Cowboys and evened HSU's record to 6-6 overall and 4-4 in ASC play. Howard Payne fell to 3-8-1 overall and to 1-7 in league play. HSU hosts Texas-Tyler at 3 p.m. on Friday.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday