ABILENE, Texas - Taylor Thigpen recorded a hat trick to propel Hardin-Simmons women's soccer team to a 4-0 win over Texas-Tyler in the American Southwest Conference Championship on Sunday afternoon at the HSU Soccer Complex.
The title was the 10th straight and 15th overall for the Cowgirls. HSU improved to 17-0-1 on the year and the Patriots ended their season at 14-5-1.
"We really came out and performed, I thought it was the best we had played all year," said HSU head coach Marcus Wood. "Our girls were prepared and executed. Taylor Thigpen was special and we played with a great deal of purpose. UT Tyler is a very good team."
The two teams played a defensive struggle the firth 30 minutes of the game and then Thigpen scored the first time on a centering pass from Devon Howard at the 37:47 mark.
The game remain 1-0 through halftime when Katie Kuykendall found Caitlin Cramer on the back post on a corner kick and Cramer headed it home to give HSU a 2-0 lead. The assist moved Kuykendall into second place on the HSU scoring list with 174 points. It was her 21st assist of the season and the goal was Cramer's fourth.
Howard found Thigpen again in the 57th minute and she buried the shot and then Thigpen scored unassisted in the 75th minute on a laser shot from 35 yards out. It gave her eight goals on the year.
Lexi Stinson worked 80 minutes of shutout ball in goal and Abby Blunt finished it up for the Cowgirls in goal. Stinson had a pair of saves.
HSU outshot the Patriots 26-5 in the game and 11-2 on goal.
Thigpen was named the tournament MVP and Christina Hartsfield, Cramer and Howard were named to the all-tournament team for HSU. Amanda Weaver, Meagan Stewart and Macy Hurley were named to the team from Texas-Tyler. Genna Shelley and Megan Whitten of Mississippi College and Taylor Maeker and Emily Hokanson of Texas-Dallas were also on the all-tournament team.
The announcement of the NCAA Tournament Field will be at 12:30 on NCAA.com.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash