ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team closed out the fall semester with a 69-62 over Sul Ross State in American Southwest Conference action at the Gallego Center on Tuesday night.
The game was back and forth the entire way. In the first half neither team led by more than four points until a Becca Chagnon jumper with five seconds to play gave HSU a 37-32 lead. There were 15 lead changes and eight ties in the half.
The second half played out in a very similar fashion. Kayla Brown hit a layup to start the second half and give HSU its biggest lead at seven points. The Lobos then scored the next seven points to tie the game at 39.
Over the next nine minutes the game was tied four times and the lead changed hands nine times and it was tied at 62 with 6:35 to play.
HSU then took over. Lauren Thomas hit a 3-pointer to give the Cowgirls the lead and the Alicia Finn and Shelby Hanna hit back-to-back baskets to push the lead back to seven points and the Cowgirls held on down the stretch for their third win in the last four games.
Taylor Klement led the Cowgirls with 19 points and also had seven rebounds. Thomas had seven points and 12 rebounds from her point guard position.
Jennifer Henley led a balanced Lobo attack with 10 points.
The Cowgirl defense held Sul Ross State to 29.5 percent shooting on the night and outrebounded the Lobos 63-43.
With the win the Cowgirls are now 3-5 on the year and 3-2 in conference play. Sul Ross State fell to 1-7 overall and 0-5 in ASC action.
HSU will return to action on Jan. 2 when it hosts Mississippi College at the Mabee Complex.
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Updated Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- KTXS Forecast: Tracking scattered cloud cover with low to mid-80s for the work week
- Abilene locations to offer early voting Monday
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated