GEORGETOWN, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' volleyball team dropped a pair of five-set matches on the second day of the Southwestern Invitational, losing 22-25, 25-19, 25-21 23-25, 15-13 to Texas Lutheran and falling 18-25, 25-20, 18-25, 25-23, 15-13 to Austin College.
It was a record-setting day for senior standout Christine Sas for the Cowgirls. She set school career records for sets played (455), matches played (126) and service aces (183).
Against TLU, HSU won the first set and TLU won the next two and HSU trailed 15-10 in the fourth game. The Cowgirls then went on an 11-3 run to take a 21-18 lead and forced a fifth game.
The deciding game was close throughout and was tied a 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. HSU then won two straight points, but the Bulldogs closed on a 5-1 run.
Sas had 15 kills and 12 digs. Tori Martinez added 11 kills and Amber Bowman had 10 kills. Ashley Babineaux had 24 digs. Addison Zaya added 14 digs. Tucker Smith and Molli Owen each had 24 assists for HSU.
HSU took a 2-1 lead after three games. The fourth game was tied at 16 when AC went on a 5-1 run to take control and force the match to a fifth game.
The Cowgirls took an early advantage and led 12-6 in the deciding fifth game, but AC closed the match on a 9-1 run to earn the win.
Martinez had 15 kills to lead the way for HSU and Sas had 13 kills and 19 digs. Babineaux added 32 digs and Zaya had 12 digs. HSU had 11 blocks in the game. Owen had 25 assists and Smith added 24.
HSU is 19-14 on the year. The Cowgirls will be the No. 4 seed in the American Southwest Conference Tournament next weekend. HSU opens on Thursday at 2:30 against Texas-Tyler.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash