GEORGETOWN, Texas — - Hardin-Simmons' volleyball team dropped a pair of five-set matches on the second day of the Southwestern Invitational, losing 22-25, 25-19, 25-21 23-25, 15-13 to Texas Lutheran and falling 18-25, 25-20, 18-25, 25-23, 15-13 to Austin College.
It was a record-setting day for senior standout Christine Sas for the Cowgirls. She set school career records for sets played (455), matches played (126) and service aces (183).
Against TLU, HSU won the first set and TLU won the next two and HSU trailed 15-10 in the fourth game. The Cowgirls then went on an 11-3 run to take a 21-18 lead and forced a fifth game.
The deciding game was close throughout and was tied a 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. HSU then won two straight points, but the Bulldogs closed on a 5-1 run.
Sas had 15 kills and 12 digs. Tori Martinez added 11 kills and Amber Bowman had 10 kills. Ashley Babineaux had 24 digs. Addison Zaya added 14 digs. Tucker Smith and Molli Owen each had 24 assists for HSU.
HSU took a 2-1 lead after three games. The fourth game was tied at 16 when AC went on a 5-1 run to take control and force the match to a fifth game.
The Cowgirls took an early advantage and led 12-6 in the deciding fifth game, but AC closed the match on a 9-1 run to earn the win.
Martinez had 15 kills to lead the way for HSU and Sas had 13 kills and 19 digs. Babineaux added 32 digs and Zaya had 12 digs. HSU had 11 blocks in the game. Owen had 25 assists and Smith added 24.
HSU is 19-14 on the year. The Cowgirls will be the No. 4 seed in the American Southwest Conference Tournament next weekend. HSU opens on Thursday at 2:30 against Texas-Tyler.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated