CEDAR PARK, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped a pair of one-run games to Concordia on Saturday afternoon at Cedar Park High School, losing 7-6 and 5-4 in American Southwest Conference action.
Concordia scored single runs in the first and second innings to take an early lead. Jessica Parrish had an RBI single in the first and Christina Smith an RBI double in the second.
HSU responded with an unearned run in the third when Sarah Truleove singled, stole second and scored on an error. Concordia added two more runs in the third inning to make it 4-1. Parish had an RBI single and Shelby Wallace walked with the bases loaded.
HSU scored a run in the fifth on an RBI single by Julia Bradley and added two more runs in the seventh. Shelby McIntyre had an RBI double and she scored on a Kara LeLeux RBI single.
The Cowgirls outhit Concordia 13-9 in the game but left 10 runners on base. Brittany Acosta started and went two and two-third innings allowing four runs and Carol Swindell relieved her and worked three and one-third innings and did not allow an earned run. Acosta fell to 7-11.
Kat Moreno went the distance and allowed just one earned run to improve to 11-6. Parish had two of the nine hits for Concordia.
Truelove, McIntyre, Carley Willis and Tera Davis each had two hits for the Cowgirls.
HSU opened the game with a three-run first inning. Mac Clay had a two-run double and McIntyre had an RBI single. Concordia scored on a Parish RBI single in the first. The Tornados tied the game in the third on a two-run home run by Parish.
The Cowgirls retook the lead in the fourth inning with a pair of runs on three Concordia errors. Concordia scored a run on a double steal in the fourth.
LeLeux gave HSU a 6-4 lead in the fifth inning with a solo home run and Concordia tied it with a two run single by Ellen Reid in the fifth.
In the seventh Concordia scored its runs on a bases loaded walk to Brie Martinez.
Acosta took the loss as she allowed four runs in four innings of relief of Swindell. Zalysa Perez earned the win in the circle as she allowed just one earned run in six and two-third innings of relief.
Parish had three hits to pace Concordia and Truelove had two hits for HSU.
The Cowgirls are now 11-22-1 o the year and 9-11 in league play. Concordia improved to 20-13 overall and to 10-10 in conference action. HSU closes the regular season at home against Howard Payne next weekend.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Abilene council to consider approving water rate study, audit
- San Angelo city councilman asked to resign over racial Facebook comments
- Updated Storms result in phone problems at Brownwood Police Department
- Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- Updated Improvements on way for Abilene Zoo if council approves bid
- 140-year-old hardware store to stay open under new ownership
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field