BELTON, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team closed the regular season by dropping an American Southwest Conference doubleheader to Mary Hardin-Baylor, 6-1 and 3-1, on Saturday afternoon at Dee Dillon Field in Belton.
Victoria Gomez put UMHB on the board in the first inning with a grand slam. The Cru added a single run in the second on a Leah Brown RBI single and added another run in the fourth on another Brown RBI single.
HSU's lone run came in the seventh inning when freshman Lauren Williams homered.
Keeley Lowrance went the distance in the circle for the Cowgirls and allowed six runs on seven hits to fall to 9-5. Haley Parker allowed just one run on five hits in the win to improve to 8-5.
Five different Cowgirls had one hit each. Brown and Myranda Hinojosa had two hits each for UMHB.
UMHB scored single runs in the first, second and fourth innings and Rebekah Ragsdale made it hold up. She allowed just one run and it was unearned in the complete-game win. She is now 18-5 on the year.
Lara Ammermann started for the Cowgirls and allowed three runs on six hits in four innings. Emily Hardaway worked the final two innings and did not allow a hit or run.
HSU scored its run in the sixth inning on a Braleigh Middleton RBI single.
The Cowgirls are now 21-17 on the year and 18-15 in conference play. UMHB improved to 28-12 overall and 23-10 in conference play.
HSU will be the No. 5 seed in the ASC Tournament that begins on Wednesday in Tyler. The Cowgirls will play Louisiana College at 4 p.m. on Wednesday.
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade