SAN ANTONIO - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped a doubleheader at Trinity on Tuesday afternoon losing 2-1 in the first game and falling 8-1 in the second game.
The Cowgirls lost another heartbreaker in game one of the doubleheader. Mac Clay gave the Cowgirls a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the seventh inning with her third home run of the year.
However, Trinity responded with two runs in the bottom of the seventh. Megan Russell walked and reached third on a throwing error on a sacrifice bunt attempt by Brittany Haby. That put runners on second and third with no outs. Lauren Mercado had a pinch hit single to score Russell, but Haby was thrown out at the plate. After a ground out to second, Kayleigh Kinlaw had a single to left for the win.
Brittany Acosta took the hard-luck loss for the Cowgirls as she allowed two unearned runs while scattering five hits in six and two-third innings.
Sydney Friday earned the win as she tossed a two-hitter with six strikeouts to improve to 3-3.
In the second game, Trinity jumped out to a 7-0 lead through the first five innings.
HSU scored its lone run in the sixth inning on a Trinity error with the bases loaded.
Kaci Welik pitched a five-hitter for Trinity to improve to 3-3. She allowed just one unearned run. Carol Swindell took the loss allowing six runs (five earned) in four and one-third innings. Acosta worked the final inning and two-third for HSU.
Julia Bradley had two hits for the Cowgirls and Brooke Sanchez, Chrissy Armstrong and Caitlynn Dykes each had two hits and scored two times for Trinity.
HSU is now 2-15-1 on the year and Trinity improved to 7-7. HSU returns home for a four-game American Southwest Conference series with Sul Ross State, beginning on Friday at 1 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash