ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped an American Southwest Conference doubleheader to Mary Hardin-Baylor, falling 14-5 in five innings and 6-3, on Saturday afternoon at Ellis Field.
Halle Sabo and Kelsey Vann had RBI singles, Caitlin Bollier an RBI double and Chandler Parsons a two-run double in the first inning for UMHB. In the second inning, Bollier and Vann had RBI singles and Heather Smith had a three-run home run to make it 10-0.
HSU scored a run in the bottom of the second on a leadoff home run by Julia Bradley.
UMHB scored two runs in the third on a Tori Gomez RBI double and a wild pitch and two more in the fourth on a Courtney Bevers sacrifice fly and a Gomez RBI single.
HSU scored four times in the fourth inning. Shelby McIntyre led off the inning with a double and Nat De La Torre followed with a single. Terra Davis drove them both in with an RBI single and Jayton Gordon and Sarah Truelove added RBI singles in the inning for HSU.
Bollier had four of the 19 hits for UMHB and De La Torre and Truelove had two hits each for HSU.
Brittany Acosta took the loss for HSU to fall to 11-5 on the year and Rebekkah Ragsdale earned the win to improve to 11-5.
In the second game UMHB scored in the first on a wild pitch. HSU responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning on a two-run double by Carley Willis.
UMHB retook the lead in the second on a Bevers RBI single and another run scored on a wild pitch.
The Cowgirls tied the game in the sixth inning when McIntyre scored on an error after single and moving to third on a pair of groundouts.
UMHB came back with three runs in the seventh. Bollier had an RBI double, Smith had a sacrifice fly and a third run scored on an error.
Carol Swindell went the distance for the Cowgirls to fall to 4-9. Halle Sabo (2-6) earned the win with four innings of relief, allowing just one unearned run.
Clay, Willis and McIntyre had two hits each for the Cowgirls and Vann led UMHB with three hits.
The Cowgirls are now 10-19-1 overall and 8-8 in ASC play. UMHB is now 18-14 overall and 13-7 in league play. HSU plays at Concordia next weekend.
Information provided by HSU Athletics Dept.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9