SEGUIN, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball dropped an American Southwest Conference doubleheader at Texas Lutheran on Saturday afternoon at Morck Field in Seguin, losing 9-1 in five innings in the first game before falling 7-6 in eight innings in the nightcap.
Texas Lutheran took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on a Jennifer Gallagher RBI single and made in 4-0 with three more runs in the third inning. Gallagher, Maegen Taylor and Molly Gorrie all had RBI singles.
HSU scored its run in the fourth inning on an RBI single by Julia Bradley.
TLU added two runs in the fourth on RBIs by Gallagher and Taylor Yancey and put the run rule in effect with three runs in the fifth. Brittany Upton and Ashley Jacobsen had RBI single for the Bulldogs.
Brittany Acosta allowed eight earned runs on 12 hits in four and one-third innings to take the loss in the circle. Five different Cowgirls had one hit each.
Katelyn Sanders went the distance for TLU to improve to 4-2. She scattered five hits and allowed one run.
In the nightcap the game was scoreless until the fourth when the Cowgirls scored on a Carley Willis RBI groundout.
HSU took the lead out to 5-0 with four runs in the fifth inning. Mac Clay had a two-run single in the inning, Sydnie Darden had an RBI fielder's choice and added another run on a TLU error.
The Bulldogs responded with four runs in the fifth and tied the game in the bottom of the seventh inning on an RBI fielder's choice by Yancey.
HSU took the lead at 6-5 in the eighth inning on an RBI groundout by Kara LeLeux. The Bulldogs won the game in the bottom of the eighth with a pair of runs on four hits. Gallagher had the game winner on a RBI single to center.
Carol Swindell started for the Cowgirls and worked five innings allowing just one earned runs. Acosta relieved her in the sixth and took the loss to fall to 1-7.
Megan Carmichael went seven and one-third innings for TLU allowing six runs (three earned). Elyse Hlavinka came on and recorded the final two outs of the eighth to earn the win.
Clay had three hits to pace the Cowgirls and Jacobsen had four hits for TLU.
HSU is now 2-13-1 on the year and 0-4 in lead play and TLU improve to 9-5 overall and 4-0 in ASC action. HSU returns home next weekend to play Sul Ross State in a four-game set.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated