SEGUIN, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team dropped a doubleheader to Texas Lutheran, 8-4 and 4-2, on Friday afternoon to open American Southwest Conference West Division play.
In the first game, TLU scored a run in the first inning on an RBI single by Hope Estes and the Cowgirls answered that run with one of their own in the second inning when Julia Bradley walked, moved to third on a double by Kara LeLeux and scored when Shelby McIntyre reached on an error by the shortstop.
TLU exploded for four runs in the second inning and added another run in the third. Grace Estes and Ashley Jacobsen had RBI singles in the second and another run scored on an error and groundout. Kayla McMillan had an RBI groundout in the third for the Bulldogs.
The Cowgirls scored two runs in the fifth inning. Bradley had an RBI fielder's choice and the Cowgirls added another run on an error. In the sixth inning, Terra Davis scored when Jayton Gordon was caught in a rundown.
The Bulldogs added a pair of runs in the sixth inning.
Carol Swindell fell to 1-6 with the loss. She allowed 10 hits and six earned runs in six innings of work. Megan Carmichael went the distance for TLU and allowed just one earned run to improve to 3-3.
Sydnie Darden and LeLeux had a pair of hits each for HSU and Hope Estes, Jennifer Gallagher and Jacobsen had two hits each for TLU.
In the second game, TLU again took a 1-0 lead in the first inning as Brittany Upton had an RBI double. Hsu tied the game in the third inning on a Nathalie de la Torre RBI single.
TLU responded with a pair of runs in the bottom of the third inning Gallagher had an RBI single and another run scored on a wild pitch. Upton added an RBI single in the fifth inning for TLU.
LeLeux had an RBI single for the Cowgirls in the seventh inning and HSU brought the go-ahead runner to the plate before being retired.
Brittany Acosta went the distance for the Cowgirls in the circle, scattering seven hits in six innings. She is now 1-5 on the year. Carley Willis and McIntyre each had a pair of hits to lead the HSU offense.
Upton and Mollie Gorrie led TLU with two hits each. Katelyn Sanders allowed just one earned run in the complete-game win, allowing six hits.
HSU fell to 2-11-1 on the year and 0-2 in ASC play. TLU improved to 7-5 overall and 2-0 in ASC action. The teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday beginning at noon.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Obama shortens more than 100 prison sentences
- Updated TDCJ: Criminal charges against Abilene corrections officer dismissed
- Updated Texan who faked being decorated Navy SEAL gets prison
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Whistleblower lands a $22 million payday from SEC
Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Ex-Abilene day care teacher fails to show for trial, warrant issued
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire