ABILENE. Texas - Not only did the Hardin-Simmons women's soccer team have a great season on the field, they also earned the team academic award from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America for its 3.39 team GPA.
It marks the 12th straight year the Cowgirls have been on the list of team's with higher than a 3.0 team GPA.
"This is an award that we are always proud to get," said Marcus Wood. "We have a bunch of motivated young women that want to be successful in whatever they do. That shows when you get awards for not only soccer but academics. I am proud of them for taking care of business, because it is not easy to be a great student and a great athlete. Our players work really hard at balancing both."
The Cowgirls went 18-1-2 on the year and advance to the NCAA Sectional Tournament. HSU also won its 10th straight American Southwest Conference title.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Girl, 8, gets $10K scholarship to University of North Texas after video
- Updated Two-headed rat snake gets new home at Central Texas zoo
- KTXS Forecast: Perfect weather for coming weekend
- Man recants story about road rage incident near Abilene
- Wanted: Former Abilene day care teacher among 4 being sought
- Blanket man gets 15 years for two separate agg. assault cases
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood City Council approves bid for sports complex additions
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget