AUSTIN, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team fell behind in the first half and could not rally in the second half in a 76-61 American Southwest Conference loss at Concordia on Thursday evening at Tornado Gym in Austin.
Concordia used a 22-3 run from the 11:33 mark of the first half to the 1:44 mark and pushed its lead from 13-10 to 35-13. Concordia led 40-19 at halftime.
In the second half, Concordia pushed the lead to 44-19 before the Cowgirls started chipping away and cut it to 49-32. The Tornados again pushed it to 68-45, but HSU scored 12 of the next 15 points to make it 71-59 with 3:56 to play.
Coco Cartwright and Alexis Popelar each led the Cowgirls with 17 points. Cartwright hit five 3-pointers. Popelar had 11 rebounds to record a double-double.
DJ Vallier led a balanced Concordia attack with 11 points and Tyler Compton added 10 points.
The Cowgirls are now 6-8 on the year and 4-4 in league play. Concordia improved to 9-6 overall and 6-3 in ASC play. HSU will play at Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Information provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletic Dept.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene