ABILENE, Texas - Taylor Klement hit a pair of free throws with :04 to play to force overtime, but the Hardin-Simmons women's basketball team dropped a 55-52 American Southwest Conference game to Concordia at the Mabee Complex on Thursday evening.
Neither team led by more than six points in the first half. Concordia's biggest lead came at 16-10 with 6:22 to play. HSU retook the lead at 22-21. Concordia took a 26-24 lead into halftime.
Concordia took a 41-33 lead with 6:23 to play in the second half. It was the biggest for either team all night. HSU responded with a 10-2 run to tie the game at 43.
Klement had six points in the run. Shelby Hanna gave HSU a 46-45 lead with a jumper with 1:07 to play and Ally Terry answered with a jumper. Margaret Milling split a pair of free throws for Concordia with :12 in regulation.
Klement came down and drew a foul and after a pair of timeouts calmly sank a pair of free throws with 4.7 seconds to play to send the game to overtime.
The Cowboys took an early lead in overtime on a Lauren Thomas 3-pointer and Klement split a pair of free throws to make it 52-50, but Concordia scored the final five points to secure the win.
Concordia scored 27 points off of 27 Hardin-Simmons turnovers in the game. Both teams struggled from the field as HSU went 16-for-59 (27.1 percent) and Concordia was 22-of-65 (33.8 percent).
Klement was the only Cowgirls in double figures. She had career highs with 23 points and 14 rebounds.
Tyler Compton had 19 points to pace Concordia and Margaret Milling added 13 points, seven rebounds, six steals and three assists.
HSU is now 5-8 on the year and 5-5 in league play. Concordia improved to 7-7 overall and 5-6 in league play. The Cowgirls host Mary Hardin-Baylor on Saturday at the Mabee Complex. The first 100 students with an ID will get a free t-shirt.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated