SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team dropped its second straight close game losing 67-63 to Bethel in the Trinity Thanksgiving Classic in San Antonio on Sunday afternoon.
The Cowgirls trailed by 15 points in the first half, but closed the deficit to 36-31 at halftime with an 8-1 run to close the half.
In the second half Bethel pushed the lead back out to 15 at 54-39.
HSU responded with a 12-1 run, with eight points by Jaclyn von der Heide in the run to cut the deficit to 55-51 with 7:21 to play. The Cowgirls eventually tied the game at 61 with 1:20 to play on a Nikki Niehues 3-pointer.
Bethel closed the game out on a 6-2 run in the final minute.
Alexis Popelar led the Cowgirls with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Coco Cartwright had 13 points, five assists and four steals and von der Heide had 13 points and seven rebounds.
Rachel Parupsky had 17 points and 12 rebounds and Sydney Schultz had 13 points for Bethel.
HSU is now 5-7 on the year and Bethel improved to 1-7. HSU will return to action on Jan. 5 at LeTourneau.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene
- Updated Clyde family raising money for son nearly paralyzed in wreck