TYLER, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's tennis team fell 5-1 to Mississippi College in an American Southwest Confernece match that was stopped after the outcome was decided because of available indoor courts on Sunday in Tyler.
The teams had to take the matches indoors and there were only two courts available. MC took an early 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles action.
HSU's Jenna Smith won 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3 singles, but MC finished the match with a three-set win at No. 1 and a close two-setter at No. 2.
The Cowgirls are now 3-8 on the year and 3-3 in conference action. MC improved to 6-4 overall and 3-1 in league play. HSU will hit the road again next weekend for matches at Texas Lutheran, Schreiner and Trinity.
Mississippi College 5, Hardin-Simmons 1
1. Courtney Shrock (MC) def. Genene Haddad, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Allison Boyd (MC) def. Hannah Smith, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
3. Jenna Smith (HSU) def. Shelby Wagner, 6-4, 6-1
4. Jasmine Briant (HSU) vs. Laura VanHorn, unfinished
5. Alynna Phouthakhio (HSU) vs. Katherine Farmer, unfinished
6. Kacie Berutti (HSU) vs. Katie Kema, unfinished
1. Wagner/Boyd (MC) def. Haddad/Briant, 8-3
2. VanHorn/Shrock (MC) def. Jenna Smith/Hannah Smith, 8-6
3. Farmer/Kema (MC) def. Phouthakhio/Berutti, 8-5
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Texas sales tax holiday set for first weekend of August
- 3 Big Country hospitals receive high marks from federal government
- Boy, 7, finds key, unlocks Texas gun cabinet, shoots self
- Abilenians sought for curbside recycling program, deadline Monday
- Tax rate increase approved by Abilene City Council in first reading