TYLER, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's tennis team fell 5-1 to Mississippi College in an American Southwest Confernece match that was stopped after the outcome was decided because of available indoor courts on Sunday in Tyler.
The teams had to take the matches indoors and there were only two courts available. MC took an early 3-0 lead after sweeping the doubles action.
HSU's Jenna Smith won 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3 singles, but MC finished the match with a three-set win at No. 1 and a close two-setter at No. 2.
The Cowgirls are now 3-8 on the year and 3-3 in conference action. MC improved to 6-4 overall and 3-1 in league play. HSU will hit the road again next weekend for matches at Texas Lutheran, Schreiner and Trinity.
Mississippi College 5, Hardin-Simmons 1
1. Courtney Shrock (MC) def. Genene Haddad, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Allison Boyd (MC) def. Hannah Smith, 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
3. Jenna Smith (HSU) def. Shelby Wagner, 6-4, 6-1
4. Jasmine Briant (HSU) vs. Laura VanHorn, unfinished
5. Alynna Phouthakhio (HSU) vs. Katherine Farmer, unfinished
6. Kacie Berutti (HSU) vs. Katie Kema, unfinished
1. Wagner/Boyd (MC) def. Haddad/Briant, 8-3
2. VanHorn/Shrock (MC) def. Jenna Smith/Hannah Smith, 8-6
3. Farmer/Kema (MC) def. Phouthakhio/Berutti, 8-5
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon