BROWNWOOD, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' basketball team saw its season come to an end with a 71-55 loss to Texas-Dallas in the first round of the American Southwest Conference Championship Tournament at the Brownwood Coliseum.
The first game was tightly contested as neither team led by more than five points and HSU led 27-26 at halftime.
Texas-Dallas used a torrid shooting stroke in the second half to pull away down the stretch. The Comets hit 17-of-24 shots in the second half and shot 59.2 percent in the game.
Coco Cartwright's 3-pointer with 12:12 to play tied the game at 39. UTD then used a 10-1 run to take a 50-40 lead with 7:27 to play. Alexis Popelar hit a 3-pointer to make it 50-43 and that was as close as the Cowgirls would get the rest of the way.
Popelar and Jaclyn von der Heide each had 15 points for the Cowgirls and Cartwright added 11 points. Popelar finished her career with 1,291 points to rank ninth on the HSU career scoring list.
Morgan Kilgore led UTD with 20 points and Amber Brown had 17 points. UTD had a 46-28 advantage in points in the paint in the game.
HSU finished its season with a record of 13-13. The game was also the final games in the Cowgirl careers of Shaquana Wall, Coco Cartwright, Popelar and Taylor Rose.
UTD improved to 18-8 on the season and will play in the semifinals on Saturday.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated
- Walter murder trial: 'Formality' in sentencing to call Abilene couple back to court Thursday