ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team shot 53 percent in the second half and pulled away from Sul Ross State for a 73-52 American Southwest Conference win on Thursday night at the Gallegos Center in Alpine.
The Cowgirls dominated the boards in the game with a 58-34 advantage. HSU had 21 offensive rebounds.
HSU never trailed in the game and jumped to an early 13-5 lead. Sul Ross State cut it to 22-21 with 5:42 to play in the first half. HSU scored the next six points on back-to-back 3-pointers by Joanna Daniel and Alexis Popelar and the Cowgirls led 32-27 at halftime.
In the second half, HSU used a 20-6 run midway through the half to push the lead out to 58-41 and were never threatened again.
Popelar was the only Cowgirl in double figures with 23 points. She moved into 10th place on the HSU career scoring charts passing Diana Martinez. She now has 1,226 points in her career.
Asrelle Anderson led SRSU with 12 points and Taylor Richey added 10 points and seven rebounds. The Lobos shot just 29 percent in the game.
The Cowgirls are now 13-9 on the year and 11-5 in ASC play. Sul Ross State fell to 1-22 overall and 0-17 in conference play. HSU will play at Howard Payne on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Brownwood.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Updated Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Fraternity suspends Texas A&M chapter after student's death
- Updated Abilene ISD institutes new drop-off policy