ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team shot 53 percent in the second half and pulled away from Sul Ross State for a 73-52 American Southwest Conference win on Thursday night at the Gallegos Center in Alpine.
The Cowgirls dominated the boards in the game with a 58-34 advantage. HSU had 21 offensive rebounds.
HSU never trailed in the game and jumped to an early 13-5 lead. Sul Ross State cut it to 22-21 with 5:42 to play in the first half. HSU scored the next six points on back-to-back 3-pointers by Joanna Daniel and Alexis Popelar and the Cowgirls led 32-27 at halftime.
In the second half, HSU used a 20-6 run midway through the half to push the lead out to 58-41 and were never threatened again.
Popelar was the only Cowgirl in double figures with 23 points. She moved into 10th place on the HSU career scoring charts passing Diana Martinez. She now has 1,226 points in her career.
Asrelle Anderson led SRSU with 12 points and Taylor Richey added 10 points and seven rebounds. The Lobos shot just 29 percent in the game.
The Cowgirls are now 13-9 on the year and 11-5 in ASC play. Sul Ross State fell to 1-22 overall and 0-17 in conference play. HSU will play at Howard Payne on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Brownwood.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Updated Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Texan on 10 Most Wanted sex offender list caught in Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer