ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's soccer team moved to 8-0 in American Southwest Conference action with a 5-1 win over Howard Payne on a windy afternoon at the HSU Soccer Complex on Tuesday.
The Cowgirls improved to 11-0-1 overall and to 8-0 in league play. The Cowgirls will play Texas-Tyler on Friday at 1 p.m. with first place and the likely right to host the ASC Tournament on the line. Howard Payne fell to 4-7 overall and to 4-4 in ASC play.
HSU took the suspense out of the game early when Katie Kuykendall served a perfect corner onto Courtney Cramer's head and she buried it for her 13th goal of the season. Just over five minutes later Kuykendall found the back of the net for her eighth goal of the season.
In the 29th minute Kuykendall sent a perfect cross to Devon Howard on the back post and Howard finished it for her sixth goal of the season.
The game stayed at 3-0 when Lauren Wilmer served a perfect ball over the Cowgirl defense and Leslie Jones hit a striking shot over Ashley Porter into the upper 90 to cut the game to 3-1 at 69:18.
The Cowgirls added a pair of goals as Kristen Pack scored in the 74th minute and Kristen Brockman added a goal in the 77th minute.
HSU outshot the Lady Jackets 38-4 in the match and 14-2 on goal. Courtney Beene allowed five goals and recorded nine saves for HPU and Lexi Stinson worked 80 scoreless minutes in goal for the Cowgirls with one save.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Female football official earning her stripes
- Texas presidential poll shows Trump with lead going into election
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Above normal temperatures continue
- Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth