SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' volleyball team split a pair of matches at the Trinity National Tournament on Saturday in San Antonio, beating Berry 19-25, 25-21, 18-25, 25-20, 15-8 and falling to Chapman 25-10, 25-19, 25-19.
HSU 3, Berry 2
In the first match of the day the Cowgirls rallied from a 2-1 deficit to secure the win.
In the first game, Berry took over midway through the game and cruised to a 25-19 win. HSU responded in the second game utilizing a 15-7 run in the middle of the game. It was Berry's turn in the third game with an 11-4 run midway through.
HSU took an early lead in game four and never trailed. Leading 4-3 in the deciding game, HSU used a 6-1 run to put the game away.
Christine Sas led the Cowgirls with 16 kills and a team-best 23 digs. Tori Martinez had 13 kills and Barbie Clausen had 10 kills.
Defensively, six different Cowgirls reached double figures in digs. Ashley Babineaux had 21 and Addison Zaya added 14, Tucker Smith and Molli Owen each had double-doubles as Smith had 24 assists and 11 digs and Owen had 15 assists and 11 digs. Lauren Wish added 10 digs.
Sas and Smith had three service aces each and Morgan Watts was in on four blocks.
Chapman 3, HSU 0
In the final match of the tournament, Chapman rolled in the first game 25-10. The Panthers cruised to a 10-1 lead and HSU never recovered. In the second game it was tied at 17 when Chapman went on a 5-0 run. Chapman took an early 9-2 lead in the third game.
Martinez led the Cowgirls with 12 kills and Wish had a team-best 12 digs.
HSU is now 5-7 on the year. The Cowgirls will open conference play next weekend in Richardson, playing East Texas Baptist, LeTourneau, Mississippi College and Texas-Tyler.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Updated Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- San Angelo woman dies in three-vehicle collision near Ballinger
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer