SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' volleyball team split a pair of matches at the Trinity National Tournament on Saturday in San Antonio, beating Berry 19-25, 25-21, 18-25, 25-20, 15-8 and falling to Chapman 25-10, 25-19, 25-19.
HSU 3, Berry 2
In the first match of the day the Cowgirls rallied from a 2-1 deficit to secure the win.
In the first game, Berry took over midway through the game and cruised to a 25-19 win. HSU responded in the second game utilizing a 15-7 run in the middle of the game. It was Berry's turn in the third game with an 11-4 run midway through.
HSU took an early lead in game four and never trailed. Leading 4-3 in the deciding game, HSU used a 6-1 run to put the game away.
Christine Sas led the Cowgirls with 16 kills and a team-best 23 digs. Tori Martinez had 13 kills and Barbie Clausen had 10 kills.
Defensively, six different Cowgirls reached double figures in digs. Ashley Babineaux had 21 and Addison Zaya added 14, Tucker Smith and Molli Owen each had double-doubles as Smith had 24 assists and 11 digs and Owen had 15 assists and 11 digs. Lauren Wish added 10 digs.
Sas and Smith had three service aces each and Morgan Watts was in on four blocks.
Chapman 3, HSU 0
In the final match of the tournament, Chapman rolled in the first game 25-10. The Panthers cruised to a 10-1 lead and HSU never recovered. In the second game it was tied at 17 when Chapman went on a 5-0 run. Chapman took an early 9-2 lead in the third game.
Martinez led the Cowgirls with 12 kills and Wish had a team-best 12 digs.
HSU is now 5-7 on the year. The Cowgirls will open conference play next weekend in Richardson, playing East Texas Baptist, LeTourneau, Mississippi College and Texas-Tyler.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Updated Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Updated Brownwood murder suspect wants lower bond to go to theme parks, judge denies
- Updated Texas boy dies after stepping into puddle with downed power line
- Teen's body recovered from Texas lake after canoe capsized
- Sweetwater teen wins gold medal in national powerlifting competition
- Abilene families release butterflies to remember their loved ones
- Young horse riders show off skills in Abilene
- Dog show held at Mall of Abilene
- Eighteen seniors graduate from Abilene Christian School
- Weather doesn't keep Williams from canvassing for votes
- Abilene's new aquatic center to open mid-June
- Police chief: Homicide investigation continues regarding Brownwood man's death
- Brownwood police release ID of man shot in head, upgrade charges against suspect
- 3 firefighters, 1 other injured in Brownwood house fire
- Man in critical condition after shooting in Brownwood, suspect arrested
- TEA says Mullin ISD violated education codes, defrauded state
- Brown County man sentenced to 35 years in prison for child sex crime
- Dyess We Care Team repairs the home of a WWII veteran
- Sweetwater residents welcome rain after severe storm
- NWS confirms multiple tornadoes touched down in northern Brown County
- DPS identifies driver of 18-wheeler that crashed off overpass in Callahan County
- Rain totals: 'Quite measurable' amounts recorded in Big Country
- Sweetwater police chase ends with car on top of 2 pickup trucks