ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons split a pair of matches on Saturday at the American Southwest Conference pod in Alpine, Texas, beating Sul Ross State 3-0 and falling 3-2 to Mary Hardin-Baylor.
The loss ended a 31-match unbeaten streak against American Southwest Conference opponents.
HSU had no trouble with Sul Ross State winning 25-21, 25-10, 25-20.
Freshman Barbie Clausen led a balanced attack with six kills and Ashley Babineaux had 11 digs. Molli Owen had 13 assists and Tucker Smith added 10.
In a matchup of the two unbeaten in American Southwest Conference play the match was close throughout.
The first two games went past 25 points with HSU winning 27-25 in the first game and UMHB winning 28-26 in the second game.
HSU rallied from a 20-16 deficit to win the third game 25-23 and take a 2-1 lead. The Cru bounced back and won the fourth game by a score of 25-20 to setup a deciding fifth game.
The Cru jumped to a 8-4 lead and held on for a 15-10 win in the final game to take over the ASC lead early in the conference race.
Christine Sas had 11 kills and 20 digs to pace the Cowgirls. Babineaux added 29 digs and Addison Zaya had 13 digs.
HSU is now 11-8 overall and 6-1 in ASC action. UMHB improved to 16-2 overall and 5-0 in league play. Sul Ross State is now 0-15 and 0-5 in conference play.
The Cowgirls are next in action next Saturday, playing Howard Payne and Texas-Dallas in Brownwood.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Son of former Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Updated Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Environmental groups raise concerns over West Texas oil find
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer