ASHLAND, Va. - Hardin-Simmons' volleyball completed a successful run at the Randolph-Macon Invitational with a pair of thrilling wins on Saturday. HSU defeated Maryville (Tenn.) 23-25, 25-15, 25-21, 25-19 and rallied for a 21-25, 25-20, 23-25, 29-27, 15-11 win over Randolph-Macon.
In the first match against Maryville, HSU dropped the first game and then came back and controlled the final three sets. Complete stats were unavailable for this match and will be added later.
Against RMC, HSU received a huge effort from senior Christine Sas against RMC. She had a career-best 26 kills and added 17 digs.
After the teams alternated wins in the first three games RMC had a 22-18 lead in the fourth game. However, the Cowgirls responded with five straight points. RMC took a game point at 27-26, but Sas recorded two straight kills and then Gabi Martinez and Morgan Watts ended the game with a block to force a fifth game.
The fifth game was tied at 11, but HSU scored the final four points of the match for the win. Sas closed the match with two straight kills.
Tori Martinez had 14 kills for the Cowgirls and Hannah Hornsby added 14. Ashley Babineaux had 22 digs.
Tucker Smith had 34 assists and Molli Owen added 24.
HSU evened its record at 4-4 on the season and will continue on the road next weekend at the Trinity Invitational. RMC fell to 5-2 with the loss and Maryville is now 1-7.
Information provided by HSU athletics department.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer