KERRVILLE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' softball team won its eighth straight game as it swept an American Southwest Conference doubleheader at Schreiner on Friday afternoon, winning 5-3 and 3-0.
Schreiner took an early lead in game one with a RBI single by Camile Ceasar. HSU tied it in the fourth when Shelby McIntyre led off with a double and moved to third on an error and scored on a Tera Davis RBI single.
HSU scored three times in the fifth. Julia Bradley and Brittany Acosta each had bases loaded walks in the inning a Davis had an RBI single. Mac Clay drove in a run on a squeeze bunt in the sixth inning to make it 5-1.
Schreiner scored a pair of runs in the sixth inning on three hits and an error.
Acosta went the distance in the circle for the Cowgirls to improve to 6-8 on the year. She scattered seven hits and allowed only two earned runs. Jana Masters took the loss for SU, allowing four runs in five innings.
McIntyre, Carley Willis and Davis each had two hits for the Cowgirls and Ceasar had two for Schreiner.
Carol Swindell tossed her second shutout of the series to propel the Cowgirls to the 3-0 win in game two. She scattered six hits and struck out eight to improve to 4-7. Ally Morris took the loss allowing just three runs in seven innings.
All of the runs were scored in the third inning. With one out, Jayton Gordon was hit by a pitch, Sarah Truelove singled and Syndie Darden singled to load the bases. Clay then followed with a two-run single and Julia Bradley had an RBI single.
Darden had three of HSU's seven hits and Ceasar had three of the six hits for Schreiner.
HSU is now 10-15-1 and 8-4 in ASC action. Schreiner fell to 2-27 overall and 2-14 in conference play. The Cowgirls will host Mary Hardin-Baylor next weekend in a four-game set.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer