MARSHALL, Texas - Junior guard Becca Chagnon buried a pair of crucial 3-pointers to break open a tie game and Hardin-Simmons pulled away down the stretch for a 60-52 win over East Texas Baptist in American Southwest Conference action at Ornelas Gym in Marshall on Thursday night.
The teams were tied at halftime at 26 and the Cowgirls had a 13-4 run early in the second half to take a 39-32 lead. However the Tigers immediately responded with a 12-3 run to tie the game.
Both teams traded baskets and the game was tied at 45-45 from the 7:55 mark to the 5:25 mark, when Chagnon hit a 3-pointer to give HSU a 48-45 lead. Two possessions later she connected from the same spot in the left corner to make it 51-45.
Mary Slaughter scored four straight points to make it 51-49 but HSU resoponded with the next nine points to take the game.
Both teams struggled shooting in the game as HSU shot just 36.5 percent and ETBU shot 33 percent. The Cowgirls did a good job down the stretch of executing and Alexis Popelar, Chagnon and Coco Cartwright all had 3-pointers down the stretch to keep the Tigers at a distance.
HSU had 20 assists on 23 made baskets and forced 20 turnovers and had a 19-8 advantage on points off turnovers and a 17-4 advantage on fast break points. ETBU had 19 offensive rebounds and scored HSU 18-1 in second-chance points.
Cartwright led the Cowgirls with 12 points on four 3-pointers. Popelar and Jaclyn von der Heide had 11 points each and Chagnon finished with 10 points. Popelar had a career-high 16 rebounds for HSU and also had a career-best seven assists and totaled four steals.
Slaughter led the Tigers with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman point guard April Leonard had 10 points and five steals.
The Cowgirls are now 4-3 on the year and 2-1 in ASC action. East Texas Baptist fell to 4-3 overall and also fell to 2-1 in league play. HSU will play at Texas-Tyler on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated