ABILENE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons' women's basketball team won its sixth straight game with a 67-56 win over Mary Hardin-Baylor on Thursday night at the Mabee Complex in American Southwest Conference action.
The Cowgirls jumped out to a 12-4 in the first 3:34 of the game. UMHB chipped away at the deficit and took the lead at 17-16 on a Jovana Miles 3-point play. HSU retook the lead on a Joanna Daniel 3-pointer and never trailed the rest of the night.
HSU took a 28-23 lead into halftime. The Cowgirls scored the first five points of the second half and maintained a double-figure lead most of the rest of the game.
The Cowgirls hit six 3-pointers and went 19-of-22 at the free throw line.
Popelar led the Cowgirls with 21 points and von der Heide had 19. Joanna Daniel had 15 points and hit four 3-pointers. Von der Heide had 15 of her points in the second half for the Cowgirls and Popelar had 13 in the second half.
Taylor Tucker led UMHB with 24 points and 15 rebounds. The Cru was just 1-for-14 from 3-point range and 18-for-60 in the game and turned the ball over 19 times.
The Cowgirls are now 12-8 overall and 10-4 in the ASC West. Mary Hardin-Baylor fell to 5-15 overall and 4-11 in ASC play. HSU will host Concordia for Parent Day on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Information for this story provided by HSU Sports Information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated