LUBBOCK, Texas - Senior Courtney Flanary's first home run of the season accounted for all of Abilene Christian's scoring in the Wildcats' five-inning 9-1 loss to Texas Tech Sunday at Rocky Johnson Field.
Flanary's solo shot over the wall in left came with one out in the fourth and spoiled Brittany Talley's (7-0) bid for a shutout. Talley lost her chance for a perfect game an inning earlier when Ashley Nolan singled to left with two outs.
Talley retired the first eight Wildcats she faced and didn't allow another ball to leave the infield following Flanary's home run. She finished the game with four strikeouts.
Senior Peyton Mosley (0-6) started for the Wildcats and surrendered nine runs - six earned - on 11 hits and two walks. She faced four batters in a scoreless first, and then in the second inning, she stranded two runners in scoring position on a pop up and ground out. But she walked the leadoff batter to begin the third and Sydnie Tapia followed with a home run to left field to break the scoreless tie.
The Lady Raiders would score twice more in the third, and three more times in the fourth before Brittany Lee ended the game via the eight run-rule with a two-run homer, which was her first of the spring.
The Wildcats return to action Tuesday for the start of a four-game series at Prairie View A&M, but won't come home to play at Poly Wells Field until March 18 when they play host to a doubleheader against Oklahoma Christian.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer