LUBBOCK, Texas - Senior Courtney Flanary's first home run of the season accounted for all of Abilene Christian's scoring in the Wildcats' five-inning 9-1 loss to Texas Tech Sunday at Rocky Johnson Field.
Flanary's solo shot over the wall in left came with one out in the fourth and spoiled Brittany Talley's (7-0) bid for a shutout. Talley lost her chance for a perfect game an inning earlier when Ashley Nolan singled to left with two outs.
Talley retired the first eight Wildcats she faced and didn't allow another ball to leave the infield following Flanary's home run. She finished the game with four strikeouts.
Senior Peyton Mosley (0-6) started for the Wildcats and surrendered nine runs - six earned - on 11 hits and two walks. She faced four batters in a scoreless first, and then in the second inning, she stranded two runners in scoring position on a pop up and ground out. But she walked the leadoff batter to begin the third and Sydnie Tapia followed with a home run to left field to break the scoreless tie.
The Lady Raiders would score twice more in the third, and three more times in the fourth before Brittany Lee ended the game via the eight run-rule with a two-run homer, which was her first of the spring.
The Wildcats return to action Tuesday for the start of a four-game series at Prairie View A&M, but won't come home to play at Poly Wells Field until March 18 when they play host to a doubleheader against Oklahoma Christian.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Families displaced in Brownwood apartment fire find new homes
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Fire danger Tuesday with very warm and windy conditions
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Texas A&M Forest Service conducts prescribed burns at Camp Bowie
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck