LUBBOCK, Texas - Senior Courtney Flanary's first home run of the season accounted for all of Abilene Christian's scoring in the Wildcats' five-inning 9-1 loss to Texas Tech Sunday at Rocky Johnson Field.
Flanary's solo shot over the wall in left came with one out in the fourth and spoiled Brittany Talley's (7-0) bid for a shutout. Talley lost her chance for a perfect game an inning earlier when Ashley Nolan singled to left with two outs.
Talley retired the first eight Wildcats she faced and didn't allow another ball to leave the infield following Flanary's home run. She finished the game with four strikeouts.
Senior Peyton Mosley (0-6) started for the Wildcats and surrendered nine runs - six earned - on 11 hits and two walks. She faced four batters in a scoreless first, and then in the second inning, she stranded two runners in scoring position on a pop up and ground out. But she walked the leadoff batter to begin the third and Sydnie Tapia followed with a home run to left field to break the scoreless tie.
The Lady Raiders would score twice more in the third, and three more times in the fourth before Brittany Lee ended the game via the eight run-rule with a two-run homer, which was her first of the spring.
The Wildcats return to action Tuesday for the start of a four-game series at Prairie View A&M, but won't come home to play at Poly Wells Field until March 18 when they play host to a doubleheader against Oklahoma Christian.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- August 2016 ties August 1914 as wettest in Texas
- City of Abilene receives 2,000+ complaints or comments about water bills
- Updated Abilene requests proposals for new downtown hotel and 'festival district'
- Shuttle bus rear-ended at Boston airport, killing 2 Texans
- Agency shakeup: 4 regional CPS directors fired, including director of Abilene region
- Paint Creek reacts to Perry's Dancing with the Stars casting
- Businesses near Big Country lakes hoping for big Labor Day turnout
- Zephyr ISD sues over faulty turf, relocates home football games
- Hunters, Abilene charity anticipate start of dove hunting season
- 2 injured in DWI crash in Early, man arrested