ABILENE, Texas - When ABC television premieres its new fantasy/reality show The Quest on Thursday (July 31/7 p.m. CT), former McMurry University quarterback Rashon Lewis will be one of the contestants (or "Paladins," as they are known on the show). Lewis – who now goes by the stage name Shondo Blades – was the McM signal-caller during the 2007 season.
Lewis, a native of Missouri City, Texas - who prepped at Sharpstown High School in Houston's southwest suburbs – is one of five men and seven women participating in The Quest. Contestants will be given tests of physical strength, as they circumvent an "imaginative realm complete with ogres, dragons and a battle between peace and chaos."
"This is Game of Thrones – which has a cult following – Survivor and Amazing Race, colliding," Lewis explained in an interview with KTRK's Don Nelson, when asked to describe The Quest.
According to the ABC web site describing the show, "a fantastic world will come alive in a unique competition series where players will engage in epic challenges. Fantasy meets reality when one player emerges as a real-life hero."
As McMurry's quarterback in 2007, Lewis was a double-threat with his passing and rushing ability. He completed 132 of 335 passes for 1,843 yards (184.3 yards per games, connecting on 14 touchdown aerials. He also was the team's second-leading rusher, gaining 569 yards on 141 carries (4.0 y.p.c.), to give him a total offensive average of 241.2 yards per contest.
Lewis has also participated in Mixed Martial Arts competition, as well as doing modeling and acting, since his playing days at McMurry.
KTRK Interview: http://abc13.com/212688/
The Quest web page: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-quest
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Man on Texas death row for killing 2 loses appeal
- Updated New 'Dancing With the Stars' cast includes ex-Gov. Rick Perry, 12 others
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon