ABILENE, Texas - When ABC television premieres its new fantasy/reality show The Quest on Thursday (July 31/7 p.m. CT), former McMurry University quarterback Rashon Lewis will be one of the contestants (or "Paladins," as they are known on the show). Lewis – who now goes by the stage name Shondo Blades – was the McM signal-caller during the 2007 season.
Lewis, a native of Missouri City, Texas - who prepped at Sharpstown High School in Houston's southwest suburbs – is one of five men and seven women participating in The Quest. Contestants will be given tests of physical strength, as they circumvent an "imaginative realm complete with ogres, dragons and a battle between peace and chaos."
"This is Game of Thrones – which has a cult following – Survivor and Amazing Race, colliding," Lewis explained in an interview with KTRK's Don Nelson, when asked to describe The Quest.
According to the ABC web site describing the show, "a fantastic world will come alive in a unique competition series where players will engage in epic challenges. Fantasy meets reality when one player emerges as a real-life hero."
As McMurry's quarterback in 2007, Lewis was a double-threat with his passing and rushing ability. He completed 132 of 335 passes for 1,843 yards (184.3 yards per games, connecting on 14 touchdown aerials. He also was the team's second-leading rusher, gaining 569 yards on 141 carries (4.0 y.p.c.), to give him a total offensive average of 241.2 yards per contest.
Lewis has also participated in Mixed Martial Arts competition, as well as doing modeling and acting, since his playing days at McMurry.
KTRK Interview: http://abc13.com/212688/
The Quest web page: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-quest
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated