NORMAN, Okla. - Hardin-Simmons athletes set four school records at the University of Central Oklahoma Invitational that was held at the University of Oklahoma in Norman on Saturday.
Evlyn Collins set records in both the shot put (40-3 ¼) and the weight throw (44 11 ¾). Collins broke the school record in the shot by seven feet and extended her own school record in the weight throw by five inches
Derek Footer lowered his own mark in the 60 hurdles to 8.46. He placed fourth overall in the event. Dustin Baker placed third in the shot put with a throw of 46-9 ½. It bettered the old mark by almost a foot.
Krysten Mellette ran an 8.41 in the 60 meters and Martika Davis ran a 9.09. Shanice Wright ran a 28.81 in the 200, Paige Goen a 29.93 and Davis a 31.40. Aaron Livingston ran a 1:07.15 in the 400 and Kaley Turner a 1:07.31. Goen ran a 10.63 in the 60 hurdles to qualify for the finals.
Meredith Akers threw the shot put 37-5 ¾ to place ninth and Rachel Davis placed 11th with a 36-1 ½ in the shot put. Collins throws was good for seventh place. In the weight throw, Collins placed fourth. Akers threw 34-11 ¾, Davis 34-6 ¾ and Elissa Paniagua a 28-4 ¼.
Kelandrix Singleton ran a 7.48 in the 60. Footer ran a 24.89 in the 200, Zeth Barron a 25.10 and Luke Wells a 25.88. Garrett Alexander ran a 55 flat in the 400, Daniel Kaplinski ran a 56.34 and Luke Wells a 57.06.
Baker placed third in the shot put with his record throw and placed second in the weight throw with a toss of 47-9, which was just 1 ½ inches off of his own school record. Cody Parker placed fifth with a throw of 43-7 and Casey Fenn had a throw of 27 5 ¼.
HSU will go back to Norman next weekend for the Oklahoma Baptist Invitational. It will be the last indoor meet for athletes to try to qualify for the NCAAs.
Information provided by HSU Athletics.
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Victims ID'd: San Angelo man & boy, 4, apparently drowned while fishing
- Recent thefts raise eyebrows at Abilene hardware store
- Police: Chase from Amarillo ends with shooting in New Mexico
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer