CALHOUN, Louisiana - ACU freshman Robert Jonson made the most of his first two rounds of collegiate golf on Monday as he helped his team to a fourth-place standing after the first two rounds of the Louisiana-Monroe Wallace Jones Invitational.
Johnson – one of the top junior players in Scotland from 2010-13 – is playing in his first tournament as a Wildcat this week, and he shot rounds of 72-75 for a 147 total on the Calvert Crossing Course at the Southern Pines Golf Club. Johnson is in fifth place in the individual standings with his 3-over-par 147 on the par-72, 6,822-yard Crossings Course.
His play helped the Wildcats to rounds of 307-302 on a breezy day on the course for a first-day total of 609. ACU is 23 shots behind the leader, Louisiana-Monroe, which shot rounds of 300-286 for a 286 total, followed closely by Arkansas-Little Rock (291-301–592) in second place. Oral Roberts is in third at 601 (303-292), just eight strokes ahead of the Wildcats.
Velten Meyer of Louisiana-Monroe leads the individual standings at 3-under-par 141 after posting rounds of 72-69. He's followed by ORU's Scott Neell at even-par 144 (72-72) in second, UALR's Noah Tulles in third at 145 (71-74) and his teammate, Johann Voss in fourth at 146 (73-73).
ACU junior Corbin Rener is tied for 11th in the individual standings at 5-over-par 149 (75-74), followed by senior Trey Sullivan in a tie for 19th at 152 (77-75). Kaden Walters is tied for 52nd at 161 (83-78) with Ian Evans in 70th place at 169 (89-80).
The third and final round of the tournament will be played Tuesday.
After finishing up Tuesday's round, the Wildcats will have just two more tournaments left in spring season: April 7-8 at the Arkansas State Red Wolves Intercollegiate in Jonesboro, Ark., and then April 21-23 at the Southland Conference championship tournament in McKinney.
Information for this story provided by ACU Athletics.
- Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program