ABILENE, Texas - McMurry starting runningback Paxton Grayer has left the football team. Head coach Mason Miller said Paxton chose to leave for personal reasons.
Grayer rushed for 137 yards and a Touchdown in the War Hawks season-opener against Abilene Christian.
Following a standout high school career at Abilene High, Grayer joined McMurry and led the team in rushing and was second-leading receiving as a Freshman. Paxton appeared in 10 games, rushing for 503 yards and six touchdowns. He caught 56 passes for 413 yards and a pair of touchdowns in 2012.
Grayer chose to leave the program shortly before the War Hawks' second game of the season against Stephen F. Austin.
Coach Miller spoke to KTXS Wednesday night.
"He just decided last week that he didn't want to play anymore and wanted to leave the team for personal reasons, and I told him... We wish him the best of luck. I encouraged him to complete his degree and get a good education," Miller said.
When asked if Paxton was still enrolled at McMurry, Miller said yes.
"Saw him today (Wednesday) on campus," Miller said.
KTXS Sports reached out to Paxton for comment, but hasn't heard back yet.
- Updated Texas man stung to death by bees
- Updated Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Abilene Fire Department working house fire on Graham Street
- Updated Enrollment up at Abilene, Wylie school districts
- Updated Video of woman chasing cat on Texas tollway prompts warning