BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Abilene Christian's women's tennis team won seven of 13 matches on the court Sunday during the second full day of round robin competition at the Indiana University Winter Invitational.
Singles victories were picked up by freshmen Erin Walker and Ansley Boarman and sophomore Nada Marjanovic, who improved to 2-0 on the young season after taking care of Harvard junior Sylvia Li in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4.
Walker's and Boarman's victories were each in three sets over opposition from Marquette. Walker came back from a set down to top junior Ali Dawson, 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-7), while Boarman outlasted sophomore Aleeza Kanner, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9).
"We won a little over 50 percent of our matches today against some really tough competition," said head coach Hutton Jones. "And right now we're taking the right steps to raise our level of play and it was exciting to see us do that against the likes Indiana, Oregon, Harvard and Marquette."
In doubles, ACU recorded two additional victories over Marquette as the Wildcat teams of Walker and junior Brittney Reed and Marjanovic and senior Emily Conrad took turns beating Dawson and Hernandez. Walker and Reed won 6-3, while Marjanovic and Conrad won 7-5.
Sisters Micah and Kaysie Hermsdorf defeated two teams from Harvard by a 7-6 margin. The Wildcats first beat the team of Spencer Liang and June Lee followed by the tandem of Amy He and Amanda Lin.
The Wildcats' women's team is off next weekend, however, the men will be playing several duals Friday and Saturday against Metro State, Air Force, Grand Canyon and Northern Colorado.
Abilene Christian Singles
Monica Lin (Harvard) def. Micah Hermsdorf (ACU) 6-3, 6-4
Erin Walker (ACU) def. Ali Dawson (MU) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-7)
No. 86 Sophie Garre (IU) def. Brittany Reed (ACU) 6-0, 6-1
Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Kaysie Hermsdorf (ACU) 6-2, 6-1
Nada Marjanovic (ACU) def. Sylvia Li (Harvard) 6-0, 6-4
Kayla Fujimoto (IU) def. Emily Conrad (ACU) 6-0, 6-2
Ansley Boarman (ACU) def. Aleeza Kanner (MU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
Abilene Christian Doubles
Reed/Walker (ACU) def. Dawson/Hernandez (MU), 6-3
Hueffner/Huefner (UO) def. Reed/Walker (ACU) 6-4
Hermsdorf/Hermsdorf (ACU) def. Liang/Lee (Harvard), 7-6
Hermsdorf/Hermsdorf (ACU) def. He/Lin (Harvard), 7-6
He/Lin (Harvard) def. Marjanovic/Conrad (ACU), 6-2
Marjanovic/Conrad (ACU) def. Dawson/Hernandez (MU) 7-5
Gutierrez/King (IU) def. Boarman (ACU)/Kanner (MU) 6-2
Li/Mirda (Harvard) def. Boarman (ACU)/Kanner (MU) 6-4
Information provided by ACU athletics department.
- Updated Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Abilene BBB on high alert for phone scammers claiming to be with IRS
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue
- Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Abilene City Council chooses water rate study after high bills