BROWNWOOD, Texas - The Howard Payne University football program looks to continue their forward momentum with 154 players reporting for fall workouts.
Second year head coach Roger Geise and his staff have brought in one of the largest recruitment classes in recent years with 154 total players reporting for workouts.
For the first couple of days, the Howard Payne coaching staff is working out the returners in the morning and the newcomers in the afternoon to allow for more instruction for the incoming players.
"For our returners, I felt like our retention from the spring till now was very good," said head coach Roger Geise. "Both groups could be in better shape coming in but overall it has been a solid opening practice."
Of the 154 reporting 48 are returners from last season. Among the 106 newcomers are six transfers and 100 freshmen.
"Freshman, there's some pretty good players in that group. Most have been coached much similar to the way that we are going to do it and that helps out a bunch" added Coach Geise.
The Yellow Jackets finished the 2012 season at 1-9 overall and 1-6 in conference action. HPU will open the 2013 season at home on September 7th versus Trinity University at 6:00 pm.
The next two weeks will see a road game at Southwestern Assemblies of God and then a home game versus NCAA D-II Wayland Baptist. The Jackets will have an open week after that before opening conference play versus Louisiana College (Homecoming) on October 5th at home.
Information for this story provided by HPU Athletics.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer